Final Design for Main Frame Centre

Right after modelling the main parametrics of the frame, I’ve gone on to make it ready for 3D printing.

First, I have added screw holes in the bottom of the frame for attachment of a battery holder, and I slightly thickened the top of the walls on the long sides to allow room for embedded nuts for attachment of a lid.

Here’s the bottom:

8 screw holes on the bottom for attachment of a battery holder.
8 screw holes on the bottom for attachment of a battery holder.

I may not use all 8 screws, but I have put all the holes there in case I do need to.

For the top I have modelled in four hexagonal cavities for nuts to be embedded in, as you can see in this section analysis:

Section analysis of top of frame
Section analysis of top of frame – the long walls had to be thickened to make space for the nuts

(continued)

Read More

Test Print of Attachment

I’ve done a test print of just the attachment between the arm and the frame, to check that everything lines up and fits properly; it works beautifully.

Looks a bit ugly but that's because I haven't cleaned it up - it's actually a beautiful print
Looks a bit ugly but that’s because I haven’t cleaned it up (the lines are from where the support material was) – it’s actually a beautiful print.

There are a couple of small problems that this has revealed with the design. First, the screw won’t physically fit underneath the attachment for the bottom mounting, let alone a screwdriver: something that I overlooked. The same will be true for the left and right sides when it is part of the bigger design for the frame.
(continued)

Read More