Files for Arduino Quadcopter

Here are all the files for my Arduino quadcopter flight controller. Please remember to follow the licensing rules and credit me if you use the files publicly in any way. Thanks!


Code for Arduino Flight Controller:

Licensed under GNU General Public License version 3, meaning you can use it and modify it as you like, as long as you provide attribution back to me, use the same license, release your source code and state all your changes.

Full Program in ‘.h’ (C++ text) format

Full Program as PDF

The code should be imported into Arduino IDE, and the referenced libraries must be installed.
(continued)

Read More

Project finished and updates

Well it’s been a while since I’ve posted here; as the deadline for finishing this project for the Arkwright Scholarship approached, I stopped logging my progress because it was taking too long and I had to prioritise finishing the project.

I finished both the drone itself and the code, and though I never actually got it to fly well (before dismantling it) I could see it was just a matter of PID tuning to get it to work well. Another thing I would definitely add in the future is GPS tracking; I got the feeling that a lot of the drift I was experiencing was just the wind and not the angle of the quad itself.
(continued)

Read More

Arms Finished Printing and Change of Colour Scheme

I’ve been using CAD models and renders in white plastic the whole time, but a while back you may have noticed that I switched to using grey plastic when it actually came to the 3D printing. The main reason for this is that I’d been having some trouble with the surface finish of the white PLA, and as I knew that grey worked I stuck with it for then.

I’d been planning to stay with grey for the rest of the quad, giving it a nice smart, industrial finish, however I hadn’t anticipated how much filament I would have to use and after printing the second arm it was evident that I wouldn’t have enough to print any more.
(continued)

Read More

CAD Design for Arm

Now that the main body is done, the next step is the arms. Now I know exactly how they have to fit into the frame, because I designed the fitting earlier, and the female part of this is already built into the frame centre.

The first problem I noticed is that the radius of the propellers I’ll be using is about 130mm – the same as the length I had set between the body and the motor centre. The frame is angled so that motors this distance from the frame will be equidistant, but I obviously need some clearance between the propellers and the frame, and so I have regretfully extended the arm length to 160mm to allow for this.
(continued)

Read More

Print of Main Frame Centre

The main frame centre has now finished printing, and it’s come out nicely. I had one failed print, where because I didn’t have any glue to put on the print bed, the corners warped to the extent that it would have been impossible to actually attach anything to the bottom:

Warped edge on left
Warped edge on left – you can see the shadow underneath

So I added lots of pritt stick (the recommended way to make prints stick better) to the bed, raised the bed temperature from 60 to 75deg, and tried again.

It came out perfectly:

Perfect print of main body
Perfect print of main body

(continued)

Read More